The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and CPA Practice Advisor have announced the recipients of the 12th annual ‘Most Powerful Women in Accounting’ awards, which recognize leaders for their significant contributions to the profession. The 2023 awards were presented at a ceremony at Dolby Live Stage at the Park MGM Casino during the AICPA ENGAGE conference in Las Vegas on June 6, 2023.
Women now comprise 62 percent of accounting professionals, and are increasingly attaining senior leadership roles, with 38 percent of partner roles held by female professionals, according to an AICPA Trends report. re increasingly becoming the face of public accounting and financial management. Additionally, they now hold a third of management committee roles, about double that of a decade ago, according to Catalyst.org’s 2020 data (https://tinyurl.com/3t5pyw8h).
The AICPA and CPA Practice Advisor partner each year to honor those professionals as the ‘Most Powerful Women in Accounting,’ as these women have emerged as the most influential leaders shaping the profession. While many are directly engaged in client-serving practice, others help lead the profession through professional organizations, as consultants, or in media, academia, technology development or other roles.
Qualifications for selection for the Most Powerful Women in Accounting Awards, which have been presented annually since 2012, include:
- She has been the driving force to create a culture of excellence, innovation, and inclusion. If she is a vendor, she has helped to develop the technologies and solutions that will empower organizations to be more productive and profitable.
- She is one of the top leaders in the accounting profession and her leadership has had a demonstrable effect upon the accomplishments of the organization with which she is associated.
- She is a mentor, sponsor, and a role model, someone who stands out in her ability to encourage and help those around her thrive and flourish.
- The work she does is influential and is having a positive impact on the accounting profession as a whole.
The 2023 Most Powerful Women in Accounting are:
- Lara Abrash, CPA
- Tommye Barie, CPA
- Julie Boland, CPA
- Jeannine K. Brown, CPC
- Arianna Campbell, LSS
- Avani Desai, CPA
- Kimi Brown Ellen, CPA
- Kimberly Ellison-Taylor, CPA.CITP, CGMA
- Angie Grissom
- Orumé Agbeyegbe Hays, CPA, CGMA, MST
- Guylaine Saint Juste, SHRM, SCP, CAE
- Lexy Kessler, CPA
- Elizabeth Pittelkow Kittner, CPA.CITP, CGMA, DTM
- Kelly Mann, CPA
- Carla McCall, CPA, CGMA
- Jessica McClain, CPA.CITP
- Kelly Richmond Pope, PhD, CPA
- Lindsay Stevenson, CPA, CGMA
- Diana Stoltzfus, CPA
- Amy Vetter, CPA.CITP, CGMA
- Tracey Walker
- Sandra Wiley
- Erica Williams, J.D.
- Jennifer Wilson
- Janet Yellen, PhD
Nominations for the 2023 awards were open to the public on the AICPA and CPA Practice Advisor websites, with final selection of recipients determined by an independent panel of judges. Nominations for 2024 will open in November 2023 at the Women’s Global Leadership Conference.
- See the 2022 Most Powerful Women in Accounting
- See the 2020-2021 Most Powerful Women in Accounting *
- See the 2019 Most Powerful Women in Accounting
- See the 2018 Most Powerful Women in Accounting
- See the 2017 Most Powerful Women in Accounting
- See the 2016 Most Powerful Women in Accounting
- See the 2015 Most Powerful Women in Accounting
- See the 2014 Most Powerful Women in Accounting
- See the 2013 Most Powerful Women in Accounting
- See the 2012 Most Powerful Women in Accounting
* Due to the pandemic, the awards for 2020 and 2021 were combined.