The Bonadio Group
The Bonadio Group recently announced the following:
- Dave Fabian has joined The Bonadio Group’s Management Committee.
- Kristen Clark, The Bonadio Group’s Syracuse Office Managing Partner, has joined the firm’s Management Committee.
- Gloria Nostramo has taken on the role of Albany Tax Team Lead at The Bonadio Group.
- Janine Mangione, based in The Bonadio Group’s Albany office, has taken on the role of Healthcare Tax Exempt practice leader.
- Nancy Snyder, based in The Bonadio Group’s Rochester office, has been named Healthcare Tax Exempt practice leader.
- Randy Shepard has been named Rochester GCL Team Lead, bringing over 20 years of professional consulting and auditing service experience to the role.
Marks Paneth Partner Magdelena M. Czerniawski Appointed Chair of NYSSCPA Exempt Organizations Committee
Magdalena M. Czerniawski, CPA, MBA, Partner in the Nonprofit, Government & Healthcare Group at Marks Paneth LLP, a premier accounting firm of nearly 700 professionals, has been appointed Chair of the Exempt Organizations Committee of the New York State Society of CPAs (NYSSCPA), effective June 1.
Founded in 1897, the NYSSCPA serves as an advocate and resource for Certified Public Accountants by representing and cultivating the profession’s core values of integrity, professionalism and ethics.
Massachusetts Society of CPAs Names 18 to Board of Directors
The Massachusetts Society of Certified Public Accountants (MSCPA) recently announced the appointment of 18 members to its board of directors for its 2020-2021 fiscal year.
The following will serve as board officers:
- Chairman: John D. Colucci, Esq., CPA, McLane Middleton, Professional Association
- Chairman-Elect: Robert S. Miller, CPA, CFE, Stone & Company, LLC
- Vice Chairman, Finance Committee: Karen B. McElroy, CPA, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Vice Chairman, Audit Committee: John D. Geraci, CPA, LGA, LLP
- Immediate Past-Chairman: John M. Micalizzi, RSM US LLP
- President/CEO: Amy A. Pitter, Massachusetts Society of CPAs, Inc.
The following will serve on the board as directors:
- Shay M. Blanchette, CPA, Babson College
- Elise R. Caputi, CPA, KLR
- Lauren Davides, CPA, State Street
- Laura L. Felice, CPA, CGMA, BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Declan E. Lee, CPA, KPMG
- Laura P. O’Brien, CPA, ALL CPAs
- Julie Quink, CPA, CFE, Burkhart, Pizzanelli, PC
- Brian Renstrom, blumshapiro
- Sandra Richtermeyer, Ph.D, CMA, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Carol L. Ruiz, CPA, PwC LLP
- Ronald R. Tull, CPA, Schofer Dillberg & Company, Inc.
- James J. Wegmann, CPA, Fidelity Investments
Grassi Partner Appointed to AICPA Tax Committee
Grassi, a leading provider of advisory, tax and accounting services, recently announced that Robert L. Tobey, CPA, a partner in the firm’s Tax Services practice, has been appointed to the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) Tax Policy and Advocacy Committee; serving on the committee’s Individual Tax Technical Resource Panel.
Jon Shoemaker, a 25-year firm veteran takes reigns at Gumbiner Savett Inc.
Jon Shoemaker, CPA, a shareholder for Gumbiner Savett Inc., was named leader of the firm’s audit & accounting department as of June 1, 2020. Jon has managed and led numerous international accounting and income tax engagements and is well versed in small and large‐scale audits.
Jon earned his B.A., Business Economics degree with an Emphasis in Accounting from the University of California, Santa Barbara and is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the California Society of Certified Public Accountants.
New York CPA Society Elects 2020–2021 Board of Directors
The New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA) is pleased to announce their new Board of Directors—a 39-member governing body—which includes the positions of president, president-elect, vice presidents, secretary/treasurer, directors as chapter representatives and directors-at-large, who all began their terms of office on June 1.
The Society’s elected officers are:
Edward L. Arcara, President: Arcara is the managing director of Edward L. Arcara, CPA P.C., a certified public accounting firm with three offices in Western New York and its headquarters in Buffalo, New York.
Rumbi Bwerinofa-Petrozzello, President-elect: Bwerinofa-Petrozzello serves as the principal for Rock Forensics, LLC, in Arverne, New York. She joined the Society in 2012.
Thomas S. Pirro, Secretary/Treasurer: Pirro is the sole practitioner at Thomas S. Pirro, CPA PC, in East Setauket, New York. He joined the Society in 1988.
Vice Presidents, to hold office for one year:
William H. Dresnack, Vice President: Dresnack is the Chair of the Department of Finance and Accounting at the Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, New York. Dresnack has been a member of the Society since 1987
Lynne M. Fuentes, Vice President: Fuentes is the managing partner at Fuentes & Angel, CPAs, LLC, in Nassau County, New York. She joined the Society in 2004.
Timothy J. Hammond, Vice President: Hammond is the principal at The Bonadio Group in Syracuse, New York. He joined the Society in 2010.
Robert M. Rollmann, Vice President: Rollmann is a partner of PKF O’Connor Davies, LLP, in Harrison, New York. He joined the Society in 1983.
Directors-at-Large, to hold office for three years:
Christopher G. Cahill: Cahill is a partner at Deloitte & Touche, LLP, in New York, New York. He joined the Society in 1991.
Orumé A. Hays: Hays is the founder and managing director of Hays CPA in New York, New York. She joined the Society in 2007.
Edward N. Lee: Lee is a partner at KPMG, LLP, in Melville, New York. He has been a member of the Society since 1998.
Philip J. London: London is the partner emeritus at Wiss & Company, LLP, in New York, New York. He joined the Society in 2002.
Denise M. Stefano: Stefano is the Accounting Department chairperson and associate professor at Mercy College in Dobbs Ferry, New York. She joined the Society in 1998.
Director-at-Large, to hold office for one year:
Kevin Matz: Matz is a partner at Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, in New York, New York. He joined the Society in 1993.
Directors as Chapter Representatives (representing one of the Society’s 15 Chapters), to hold office for three years:
John B. Huttlinger, Jr., Director as Chapter Representative – Adirondack Chapter: Huttlinger is the president of the Adirondack Audit Company, Inc., in Saranac Lake, New York. He joined the Society in 1992.
Alexander Resnick, Director as Chapter Representative – Nassau Chapter: Resnick is a partner at Wild, Maney & Resnick, LLP, in Woodbury, New York. He joined the Society in 1996.
John A. Mourer, Director as Chapter Representative – Rochester Chapter: Mourer is the owner of John A. Mourer, CPA, CGMA, in Rochester, New York. He joined the Society in 2005.
Sharon Sica-Costanzo, Director as Chapter Representative – Staten Island Chapter: Sica-Costanzo is the owner of SSC Accounting & Tax in New York, New York. Sica-Costanzo joined the Society in 2009.
William C. Huether, Director as Chapter Representative – Suffolk Chapter: Huether is a manager at Sheenhan & Company, CPA, P.C., in Brightwaters, New York. Huether joined the Society in 2010.
Director as Chapter Representative, to hold office for one year:
Craig A. Zellar, Director as Chapter Representative – Syracuse Chapter: Zellar is the audit principal at Firley, Moran, Freer & Eassa, CPA, P.C., in Syracuse, New York. He joined the Society in 1998.
CLA’s Shute Appointed as AGA’s National Treasurer-Elect Designate
Doreen Shute, managing principal of CLA’s federal government team, was appointed national treasurer-elect designate for the Association of Government Accountants (AGA), by the association’s National Governing Board. Shute will take office effective July 1, 2020, for a two-year term.
Shute has more than 19 years of experience in federal financial management, specializing in federal financial reporting and analysis, including federal budgetary accounting and data analysis.
New Jersey Society of CPAs Honors 40 Ovation Award Winners in Seven Categories
ROSELAND, N.J. – The New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants (NJCPA) is pleased to announce that 40 individuals are the recipients of its 2020 Ovation Awards. The seven award categories are Diversity, Equity & Inclusion; Exceptional Educators; Emerging Leaders; Impact; Innovation; Lifetime Leader; and Women to Watch.
The winners in each category are:
- Walter J. Brasch, CPA, CGMA — Chief Success Officer, Prager Metis, CPAs LLC, Basking Ridge
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Irina G. Balashova, CPA, CIA, CFE — Senior Associate, Forensic Resolutions, Inc., Westmont
- Maria Mauricio, CPA — Senior Accountant, WilkinGuttenplan, East Brunswick
- Kyle M. Sell, CPA, MBA — Partner, Deloitte & Touche LLP, Parsippany
- Zachary B. Cohen, CPA — Audit Manager, Prudential Financial Inc., Newark
- Michael J. Dionisio, CPA — Audit & Assurance Manager, Deloitte, Parsippany
- Amy E. Jennings, CPA — Supervisor, WilkinGuttenplan, East Brunswick
- Matthew R. Kmetz, CPA, MBA — Partner, Lizza, Kmetz & Associates LLP, Lyndhurst
- Robert N. Kusant, CPA, CISA, CFE, CAMS — Vice President, Senior Internal Auditor, Kearny Bank, Fairfield
- Peter E. Motsch, CPA, MBA — Audit Manager, Friedman LLP, East Hanover
- Philip Sookram, CPA, MAcc — Assistant Professor of Accountancy, Saint Peter’s University, Jersey City
- Dr. James J. Carroll, CPA, CMA, CFE, CFM, CFF, CGMA — Professor, Georgian Court University, Lakewood
- Dr. Leonard Goodman, CPA, MBA — Professor, Department of Accounting, Rutgers University, New Brunswick
- Robert F. Scarpa, CPA, MBA — Assistant Chair and Instructor, Rowan University, Glassboro
- Kathleen Alexander, CPA, CFE, MST — Principal, Sax LLP, Clifton
- Chris Cowan, CPA, CCIFP — Senior Manager, CohnReznick, LLP, Eatontown
- Craig Dalinsky, CPA, CGMA — Vice President, SS&C Hedge Fund Services, Jersey City
- Rich Fuchs, CPA — Managing Partner, Prager Metis CPAs LLC, Basking Ridge
- Jesse M. Herschbein, CPA, CGMA — Manager-Assurance, Prager Metis CPAs LLC, Hackensack
- John D. Kelly, Jr., CPA, MBA, MAFM — Owner, John D. Kelly, CPA LLC, Hamilton
- Joseph McGrath, Jr., CPA — Audit & Assurance Senior Manager, Deloitte, Parsippany
- Brian G. Nafash, CPA — Manager, Massood & Company, P.A. CPAs, Totowa
- Steven V. Oroho, CFP® — New Jersey Senator and Investment Advisor, Stonebridge Capital Management, Paramus
- Marc M. Radin, CPA — Owner, Mark M. Radin, P.C., Glen Rock
- Alan D. Sobel, CPA, CGMA — Managing Member of the Firm, SobelCo LLC, Livingston
- Janine Zirrith, PAFM — Firm Administrator, WilkinGuttenplan, East Brunswick
- Edward K. Zollars, CPA — Tax and Technology Partner, Thomas Zollars & Lynch, Ltd., Phoenix, AZ
· Michael Levy, CIA, CRMA, MBA, CISA, CISSP — Director of Finance and Internal Audit, Student Transportation of America, Inc., Wall Township
· Karolis Matulis, CPA, CVA — Supervisor, WilkinGuttenplan, East Brunswick
· Sherryll Penney — Manager of Technology and Client Services, MSPC CPAs, Cranford
Women to Watch
· Amy Y. Both, CPA — Manager, Withum, East Brunswick
· Melissa A. Dardani, CPA — Manager, Global Forensic Consulting Services, Baker Tilly, Philadelphia
· Cathy Davis, CPA — Partner, MSPC CPAs, Cranford
· Rachel F. Efthemes, CPA, MST — Senior Tax Manager, Mazars USA LLP, Edison
· Jessica Hoffman, CPA — Audit Senior, Deloitte, Parsippany
· Jessica R. Kizmann, CPA — Manager, WilkinGuttenplan, East Brunswick
· Elena C. Klarberg, CPA — Senior Associate, Sax LLP, Clifton
· Sviatlana Lipuma, CPA — Partner, Friedman LLP, Marlton
· Megan A. Sartor, CPA, ABV, CFF — Partner, Sax LLP, Clifton
· Katherine E. Zech, CPA — Senior Manager, PKF O’Connor Davies LLP, Cranford
The winners were announced during the NJCPA Annual Business Meeting on June 18 and will also be featured in the September/October issue of New Jersey CPA magazine.
Penobscot Investment Management Promotes Colleen MacPherson , CFA to Director of Research, Portfolio Manager
Penobscot Investment Management recently announced that Colleen MacPherson, CFA has been promoted to Director of Research. In MacPherson’s new role, she will oversee the firm’s research efforts to identify opportunities in equities, fixed income and other asset classes, while continuing to service clients as Portfolio Manager.
MacPherson holds an MBA from the Franklin W. Olin Graduate School of Business at Babson College, and a B.S. in Accounting from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. MacPherson was a National Collegiate Scholar and graduated cum laude.
Nelson Luis Joins Eisneramper as a Principal in the Forensic, Litigation and Valuation Services Group
EisnerAmper LLP, one of the largest professional services firms in the world, recently announced that Nelson Luis has joined the firm as a Principal in the Forensic, Litigation and Valuation Services Group and will serve as the Forensics Practice Leader for the Pennsylvania office.
Nelson, who will be based at EisnerAmper’s Philadelphia office, has a B.S. in Biology/Chemistry and an M.B.A. in Finance/Strategic Management from the University of Miami. He also has a certificate from Harvard University’s Leadership Program.