40 Leaders Who Are Shaping the Profession of Tomorrow
Sep. 12, 2014
Each year, the 40 Under 40 program seeks to honor a diverse array of professionals who are helping to shape the profession they work in. How does one shape a profession? For these unique professionals, that question is answered in a variety of ways.
For some, this is achieved through ardent support for and evangelizing of the new technologies that will be the cornerstones of more efficient and profitable firms. For others, it is reaching out to their peers and helping to guide and lead the policy and discussion of the current relationship dynamic between accounting professionals and their clients, and where it can and should be in the near future.
The core goal of all of these professionals is to help make the profession more flexible and embracing of the changes that are necessary to keep it thriving and attractive to future accountants, as well as to highlight the importance of the field to all audiences: Small businesses, individual consumers, other financial and tax professionals, government regulators and other stakeholders.
The 2014 class of 40 Under 40 honorees represent some of the best and brightest talent in the accounting profession. They are all active in the professional community, as well as in their local communities, where many are small business owners and employers. They can frequently be seen at industry trade shows, such as AICPA Tech+ and PCPS, giving seminars or participating in round table discussions on evolving practices and technologies. These are the voices of today that are shaping the profession of tomorrow.
Click on this year’s Honorees below to find out their views on technology and other issues facing the profession in the future!
- Adam Burnett – Manager, Training & Consulting, Wolters Kluwer, CCH
- Adam Kupperman, MBA – V.P. & Head of ONESOURCE Firm Edition, Thomson Reuters
- Angie Grissom – President, Owner, The Rainmaker Companies
- Barrett Young, III, CPA – Founding Member, The Green Abacus
- Brandon Houk, CPA (inactive) – Director of Accountant Programs, Avalara, Inc.
- Brian Shute – Division Director, Accountemps
- Brian Tully – V.P. & Head, ONESOURCE Transfer Pricing, Thomson Reuters
- Byron Patrick, CPA.CITP, CGMA – CEO, Simplified Innovations, Inc.
- Cathy Iconis, CPA – CEO, Iconis Group
- Chris Demayo, CPA, MBA – Startup Team Leader, WIthumSmith+Brown
- Chris Farmand, CPA.CITP, MBA – Managing Member, Small Batch Standard
- Christian James – COO, Xcentric
- Chuck O’Toole – Deputy Editor-in-Chief, Tax Notes Today, Tax Analysts
- Craig Walker – CTO, Xero
- Danielle Supkis Cheek, CPA, CFE, CVA – President, D. Supkis Cheek, PLLC
- David Leary – Sr. Developer Evangelist, Intuit, Inc.
- Dominique Molina, CPA, CTC – President, American Institute of Certified Tax Coaches
- Donny Shimamoto, CPA.CITP, CGMA – Founder, Intraprise TechKnowlogies, LLC
- Dustin Wheeler, CPA – Manager, Hawkins Cloward & Simister
- Elizabeth Pittelkow, CPA.CITP, CGMA – Sr. Accounting Manager, ArrowStream, Inc.
- Erin Jones, CPA – Manager, Wilkins Miller Hieronymus, LLC
- Han Kim, CPA – Senior Manager, Armanino, Inc.
- J. Adam Hancock, CPA, CVA – Shareholder, Riney Hancock CPAs PSC
- Jennifer Warawa – V.P. & General Manager, Sage Accountant Solutions
- Jim Boomer, CPA.CITP, CGMA, MBA – CIO, Shareholder, Boomer Consulting, Inc.
- Jonyce Bullock, CPA, CGMA – Partner, Squire & Company, PC
- Kelly O’Neil, CPA, IFRS – Managing Director, CBIZ MHM, LLC
- Kim Hogan, ECMp – Business Development Manager, Intuit, Inc.
- Louie Calvin – Product Manager, Thomson Reuters Tax & Accounting
- Marjorie Adams, President, AQB, Inc.
- Mark Wayman, CPA, CIA, CFE, CRMA – Internal Audit Director, CNA Financial Corporation
- Melissa Boone, CPA – Audit Partner – CohnReznick, LLP
- Michael Brown, CPA, ABV, CFF – Shareholder, Jaynes, Reitmeier, Boyd & Therrell, PC
- Michael Hsu, CPA.CITP, MSA – Founder & CEO, DeepSky Accounting
- Paul Loftus – V.P. Sales Revenue & Retention, Wolters Kluwer, CCH
- Paul Weisinger, CPA, ABV, CVA – Partner, Walthall CPAs
- Roy Keely – V.P. of Market Strategy, Xcentric
- Sean Hanthorn, MBA – Director of Education Services, RootWorks LLC
- Shayna Chapman, CPA.CITP, CGMA – Owner/Member, Shaynaco, LLC
- Stacy Kildal, Advanced Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor – President, Kildal Services/The QB Show
Our Sept. digital issue will be live soon, with addition information on the 40 Under 40.
See inside September 2014
Are Your Clients Likely to Face a SALT Audit?
Historically, a business' gross revenues follow seasonal patterns and even a small change in gross revenue should result in a small change in the associated accounts. In an attempt to discover why one established contractor was selected for audit, I reviewed their sales tax filings and created the below table.
Refresh Your Payroll Offerings in the Fall
Fall is usually a calm, relaxed time of the year – the business of the summer activities are coming to a halt and the madness of the year-end hasn’t quite started up yet. This makes it the perfect time to examine your firm’s payroll solutions and services. Companies, including your existing clients and potential clients, […]