State CPA Society News is a round-up of recent announcements and initiatives by CPA associations in the United States and its territories.
Massachusetts: The Massachusetts Society of CPAs (MASSCPAs) wants members to prioritize their health this tax season. The Society is offering free wellness webinars to all of its members to help them prioritize both physical and mental health. Each session also qualifies for one CPE credit.
Sessions include How to Recognize the Signs to Avoid Burnout and Minding Your Assets: Improving Your Holistic Health. In addition, the Society is also offering a free yoga week with classes in January, February, March, and April, 2023. For more competitive members, a Fitness Challenge is also offered, running from February 7 through April 18, 2023.
- Directs the Pennsylvania State Board of Accountancy to adopt a nationally recognized code of professional conduct
- Revises numerous peer review standards
- Expands the scope of classes eligible for an accounting degree
- Permits an applicant of licensure to sit for the CPA Exam upon completing 120 semester credits
PICPA also announced a coming legislative update scheduled for March of 2023 that will cover Pennsylvania Gov. Shapiro’s first budget proposal.
Tennessee: The Tennessee Society of CPAs (TSCPA) recently released its Updated Fiscal Year 2021 Tennessee Tax Credit Report which provides a detailed list of all credits claimed for tax periods July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021. The report includes the following details:
- Name of tax credit
- Number of taxpayers claiming the tax credit during the fiscal year
- Number of jobs taxpayers reported as created during the fiscal year
- Nature of business of taxpayers claiming job tax credits
The annual report is typically released by January 1 for the previous fiscal year.
Nevada: The Nevada Society of Certified Public Accountants (NVCPA) announced several upcoming events including the 2023 Annual Gaming Conference, which is scheduled to take place May 16 and 17, 2023. The 44th annual conference will cover the latest industry trends, online technology, and will feature some of the most prominent leaders in the gaming industry. A number of online events are also available to NVCPA members including the following:
- GAAP Alternatives: The Perfect Storm of Accounting Updates
- Internal Control Fundamentals
- Financial & Tax Accounting for S Corporations and Partnerships
- Tax Practice Standards
All classes take place online and offer CPE credits with more than 1,100 classes being offered.
- Support SB 159/HB 797 that will allow students to sit for the CPA exam after earning 120 semester hours.
- Opposing sales tax on professional services.
- Oppose any legislation that limits, diminishes, or affects the importance and rigor of a CPA license.
- Actively monitoring and reviewing all tax legislation to ensure that all issues and concerns vital to the accounting professional and properly addressed.
The Society also be offering a complimentary CPE webcast in February for all TXCPA members.
If your state or territorial CPA society/association has news you want shared, please send it to email@example.com.