Matthew Martin, CPA – 2022 40 Under 40 Top Honoree
Director, Cannabis Advisory Services
I have over fifteen years of professional tax and accounting experience, including tax planning and compliance, financial management, and technology. Over the past eight years, I focused on clients in the cannabis industry, assisting them with navigating the maze of regulations and taxes in this sector.
Some highlights from my career:
- Being promoted to Manager and passing the CPA Exam in the first three years of my career
- Being nominated to the CalCPA Board of Directors and becoming Treasurer
- Becoming President of the LA Chapter of CalCPA
- Being asked to join the Diversity Equity & Inclusion Commission at CalCPA
- Being featured on the cover of CalCPA Magazine and writing an article on servicing the cannabis industry
- Helping to develop a new practice group in Cannabis early on.
- Being a leader within a Top 25 Firm for a new and emerging practice area.
- Routinely invited to speak at the Cannabis Business Symposium and Chairing the symposium for 2022
- Being awarded CPA Practice Advisor’s 40 Under 40 award two consecutive years!
What are you doing to make a difference in the profession, your community, the world?
I have been actively involved with CalCPA for over 13 years. The pandemic created a re-evaluation Individuals are no longer willing to accept the grind mentality that has one work hard now with the hopes of have ease in later years. Priorities have shifted. I turned my efforts and focus towards shifting the mindset of looking at staff as “human capital” and instead see them as the human beings that they are. In that, my focus is on mental health and diversity, equity & inclusion. It is my goal to have a portion of the license renewal in California to include required hours in these areas, like what attorneys already have in the State.