Tim Petrey, CPA, CGMA – 2022 40 Under 40 Honoree
A small CPA firm in Youngstown, Ohio, is being steadily transformed by a young professional named Tim Petry. When Harold Davis retired from HD Davis, he elevated Tim to partner, and what Tim has done is truly revolutionary. Tim has taken a decades-old firm and developed it into one of the most contemporary practices in Ohio.
Tim had an incredibly unique vision and drive and is accomplishing something rarely seen in my considerable experience in this profession. He is using technology in innovative ways to create not just an unparalleled client experience but a great employee experience as well. His offices are designed for collaboration, utilizing space in creative ways to encourage connection and community. He is actively building an advisory practice alongside the traditional CPA practice.
His growing reputation is not just about being cutting edge but about thoughtful expansion based on some ambitious, modern, core ideals. Tim is an apt illustration of the next generation of leadership in accounting. He’s loyal to all that has been good and successful, but passionate about venturing it into new territory. It’s a unique leadership style, and one that is contributing to one of the most prolific practices in Ohio.
- Graduated Youngstown State University in 2008.
- Started with HD Davis CPAs in 2009, became partner in 2012 and took over as Managing Partner in 2015. During that time the firm grew from 4 employees to 60+ employees.
- Founded White Glove Payroll in 2017. The human capital management company is staffed with 100% remote employees & provides payroll and HR. White Glove currently processes payroll for over 400 clients in about 40 states.
- 2022 HD Davis CPAs was recognized by Accounting Today as the #1 Firm in the Nation for Women
- 2021 and 2022 HD Davis CPAs was recognized as a “Best Small Firm” to work in the Nation by Accounting Today.
- 2022 HD Davis CPAs was recognized by Crains Cleveland as the #2 best place to work in the state (Small/Medium Size Business Category)
- 2016 YSU/WBCA Outstanding Recent Alumnus Award Recipient
What are you doing to make a difference in the profession, your community, the world?
I’ve always been passionate about my alma mater, Youngstown State University. For many years we’ve sponsored QuickBooks Licensing and developed and ran a Mentoring Program for Accounting and Finance students.
I’m very active with many non-profits in the Greater Youngstown Area and our businesses have collectively raised over $200,000 for local charities.
I’d love to think that we are making a difference in the lives of our employees, clients and our community in how we do business every single day as a result of the way we operate.