Michael Barton, CPA – 2022 40 Under 40 Honoree
- In December 2016, at the age of just 25, Michael was appointed by the Governor of Indiana to serve on the Indiana Board of Accountancy. In July of 2019, Michael was voted by his fellow board members to serve as Chairman where he continues to serve in such capacity.
- In April of 2018, Michael served as the finance committee chair for the 50th reunion of the American Basketball Association at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
- In May of 2019 Michael received the Advocacy Award from the Indiana CPA Society for his advocacy efforts within the accounting profession.
- In January of 2020 Michael was promoted to Director of Assurance at Petrow Kane Leemhuis, PC, now part of professional services company Sikich.
- In October of 2021 Michael was included in CPA Practice Advisor Magazine’s 2021 class of 40 Under 40 in the Accounting Profession.
- In July of 2022, Michael was appointed to the AICPA’s Auditing Standards Board.
What are you doing to make a difference in the profession, your community, the world?
Michael is a current member of the 2022-23 NASBA Diversity Committee where the purpose of the committee is to develop a diversity program that ensures that NASBA provides opportunities, encouragement, and support to people of color and women to participate in NASBA service and leadership roles.
Michael also serves as Treasurer of the Dropping Dimes Foundation (DDF). DDF focuses on the well-being of former players of the American Basketball Association (ABA) and their families, who are experiencing financial or medical difficulties and have encountered significant hardship or sickness. In July of 2022, DDF successfully worked to have the National Basketball Association reach an agreement to pay $24.5 million in recognition payments to former ABA players. Michael has also served on various other committees for NASBA and the AICPA.