Jessica E. McClain, CPA.CITP, CISA, PMP, CGFM – 2021 40 Under 40 Honoree
Girl Scout Council of the Nation’s Capital
- Spent 11 years in public accounting working for firms such as KPMG, LLP and Grant Thornton, LLP
- Part-Time Adjunct Accounting Professor at Nichols College
- 2021 MACPA Women to Watch Award Winner – Emerging Leader
- Black CPA Centennial’s 40 Under 40 Black CPA Award Winner
- The Daily Record 2021 VIP List Honoree
- 2021 AICPA Outstanding Young CPA Award Winner
- Practice Ignition Top 50 Women in Accounting 2020
- 2020 and 2021 CPA Practice Advisor 40 Under 40 Professional
- The Daily Record 2020 Leading Women Award Winner
- 2020 AICPA Leadership Academy Graduate
What are you doing to make a difference in the profession, your community, the world?
I am a thought leader influencing the future of the accounting profession through speaking at conferences, being on podcasts, and being featured in articles and blogs talking about diversity, equity & inclusion, and the profession’s pipeline. I volunteer with the profession at a national and state level because I love helping the next generation of accountants be successful in our ever-changing profession. Additionally, I give back to my community, serving as a Board Member on Maryland 529 to help Maryland families achieve their dreams of higher education.
A More Beautiful Question by Warren Berger, Wall Street Journal, SmartBrief, HBR Women at Work Podcast, Boardroom Bound podcast, What’s Your & podcast, Kimberly Ellison-Taylor.
What do you like best about the accounting profession?
I am so enthusiastic about the accounting profession and what it has to offer. There are vast opportunities to do engaging work. You can work in many different industries, from banking to media and entertainment to healthcare. Accountants work in academia and for not-for-profits which is what I do. Accountants even work in emerging areas such as ESG and digital transformation. I love telling any and everyone you can achieve greatness in our profession.