Accounting & Audit
Richard L. Ward, CPA/PFS, CFP® – 2019 40 Under 40 Honoree
Sep. 23, 2019
Richard L. Ward, CPA/PFS, CFP®
CPA Financial Planner
Capital Configuration, LLC
- First in family to graduate from college/university
- New hire (1 of 100 out of 1,000) selected to attend KPMG 2008 Global Audit Training in Athens, Greece.
- July 2014 started my own practice – Capital Configuration, LLC
- 2014 Five Star Wealth Manager
- 2014 PICPA (Pennsylvania Institute of CPAs) Young Leader Award
- 2015 Pittsburgh’s 50 Finest
- AICPA Leadership Academy Alumni Class of 2016
- 2017-2019 PICPA Board Member
- 2017-2019 Inaugural Board Member for newly formed Pennsylvania CPA Foundation
- 2019 P. Thomas Austin Scholarship
- Vice President of PICPA Greater Pittsburgh Chapter – Executive Committee
- AICPA Financial Literacy Commission (2019 new member)
What are you doing to make a difference in the profession, your community, the world?
Participated in state society (PICPA), Accounting Career Day, program for high school students. It’s a free program held on a college/university and provides the students a chance to learn more about diverse career opportunities in the accounting profession. Initiated the ‘Inspire Future CPAs’ financial literacy program at a high school where I visited once a month and presented a series of presentations to high school students combining financial literacy lessons and discussions about life as a CPA. Joined Sewickley School Academy’s Breakthrough Pittsburgh Committee, a tuition-free academic enrichment program committed to getting high potential, academically motivated, and under-resourced students to meet the expectations for a college-bound student and enroll in a four-year college.
Favorite books/websites/speakers that you find influential:
Bob Veres; Bob Keebler & David Kelly
What do you see yourself doing professionally in 10 years?
Having an established practice with employees that provides me the opportunity to spend more time focused on the nonprofit activities that I enjoy doing. Continuing to be a leader in the profession and developing my staff of young aspiring CPAs to be great advisors to their clients.
What accounting conferences do you normally attend?
- AICPA ENGAGE
What websites/magazines do you use to keep up on news of the accounting profession?
- CPA Letter Daily; Journal of Accountancy; PA CPA Journal; CPA Practice Advisor; Tax Practice Advisor