Accounting & Audit
Dr. Sean Stein Smith, CPA, CMA, CGMA – 2019 40 Under 40 Honoree
Sep. 23, 2019
Dr. Sean Stein Smith, CPA, CMA, CGMA
Assistant Professor, Lehman College, City University of New York
- E.C. Harwood Visiting Research Fellow, American Institute for Economic Research – 2019
- Named 40 under 40 by CPA Practice Advisor in 2017, 2018, and 2019
- Member of the 2017 AICPA Leadership Academy
- Named Young Professional of the Year by the Institute of Management Accountants in 2016
- Named a 30 under 30 by the NJCPA in 2015
- Recognized expert speaker on blockchain, cryptocurrencies, and the future of the accounting profession
- Author of dozens of articles on technology and accounting change, specifically on blockchains impact on the profession, as well as over 6 books on these topics
- Contributor to the official IBM Blockchain Blog – Blockchain Unleashed
- Often utilized by the AICPA and state societies as an expert on the topics of blockchain, cryptocurrency, and the digitization of the accounting profession
What are you doing to make a difference in the profession, your community, the world?
Sean is recognized thought leader in the profession and is constantly striving to make a difference for current and future professionals, including his service on the Financial Literacy Commission, and numerous appearances focusing on how individuals get a better handle on their personal finances. Additionally, Sean’s service on the Board of Governors at Fairleigh Dickinson University – the largest private university in the state of NJ – provides Sean with an opportunity to make a different for students enrolled in college in a positive and tangible manner.
What accounting conferences do you normally attend?
- As many as my schedule allows me to get to!
What websites/magazines do you use to keep up on news of the accounting profession?
- CPA Practice Advisor
- CPA Journal
- NJCPA Magazine
- Journal of Accountancy
- The Economist
- Harvard Business Review
- Strategic Finance
What do you see yourself doing professionally in 10 years?
- Making a difference as a subject matter expert, thought leader, and motivational personality for forward looking accounting professionals seeking to evolve and develop into the true business partners they want to become