Amber Y. McGhinnis, CPA
Martin Starnes & Associates, CPAs, P.A.
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountant
- Member, North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants (past president of the Catawba Valley local chapter)
- Board Member, Catawba County Chamber of Commerce Leadership Catawba Advisory Board
- Began my accounting career at my current firm as an intern during college
- 2013 – recognized in the Top 10 Under 40 for the Hickory Young Professionals
- 2017-18 graduate of Catawba County Chamber of Commerce’s Leadership Catawba program
- Currently responsible for internal quality review of all attest reports issued by our firm
What are you doing to make a difference in the profession, your community, the worl?
Aside from my professional life, I enjoy helping those in need in the community and using my talents to serve. I have coordinated multiple community service events for the NC annual CPA Day of Service (monetary, food and school supply donations). I have also been involved in several Relay for Life events for the American Cancer Society, once as a co-captain of a team. I am currently involved in the PTO & PTA organizations at both of my children’s schools and serve as the treasurer for the middle school PTA. I am a past treasurer for the elementary school PTO.
- “7 Habits of Highly Effective People,” by Stephen Covey
What do you see yourself doing professionally in 10 years?
In 10 years, I see myself continuing to grow in the profession with my current firm, helping to streamline our reporting processes with a continued focus on quality.
What accounting conferences do you normally attend?
North Carolina Association of CPAs (NCACPA) conferences
What websites/magazines do you use to keep up on news of the accounting profession?
Journal of Accountancy, Interim Report (NCACPA magazine), Accounting Today