Other Options Available for Taxpayers
The IRS will continue to offer other help to taxpayers, including:
* Assistance of the Taxpayer Advocate Service for those taxpayers experiencing particular hardship navigating the IRS.
* Postponement of collection actions in certain hardship cases.
* Added flexibility for missed payments on installment agreements and offers in compromise for previously compliant individuals having difficulty paying.
* Additional review of home values for offers in compromise in cases where real-estate valuations may not be accurate.
* Accelerated levy releases for taxpayers facing economic hardship.
In addition, the IRS will accelerate lien relief for homeowners if a taxpayer cannot refinance or sell a home because of a tax lien. As previously announced, a taxpayer seeking to refinance or sell a home may request the IRS make a tax lien secondary to the lien by the lending institution that is refinancing or restructuring a loan. The taxpayer may also request the IRS discharge its claim if the home is being sold for less than the amount of the mortgage lien under certain circumstances.