Benjamin “Bo” Garner, CPA, MBA
Employer: PBMares, LLP
Title: Assurance Manager/Co-leader Not-for-Profit Services
City/State: Newport News, VA
Professional Associations/Memberships (please include any leadership roles):
- Virginia Peninsula Chamber of Commerce 2017 graduate of LEAD Peninsula, member
- Association of Fundraising Professionals, Hampton Roads Chapter finance committee
- North Suffolk Rotary Club sergeant at arms
- Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants (VSCPA) audit and advisory committee; firm ambassador to the association; mentoring program development taskforce; Young Professionals Advisory Council; and volunteer to educate college students on the profession and workforce transition
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants member
- Samaritan House finance committee chair and treasurer
- Suffolk Ducks Unlimited Chapter treasurer
- Ebenezer United Methodist Church finance committee member
Bo Garner started with PBMares, LLP as an intern while earning his Bachelor of Arts in accounting and business/economics and is now on track to become a partner at PBMares. He was first hired as a staff accountant in 2008, promoted to senior accountant in 2010 and became supervisor in 2013. Bo was the first and only employee to have a direct report while at the senior level. He became an Assurance Department manager in 2015 and now co-leads the Not-for-Profit Services Team of 20. Amidst this, he graduated with his Master in Business Administration from the College of William & Mary. He sits on the firm’s strategic planning committee, community outreach committee and serves as an on-boarding sponsor to welcome new employees and help them understand the firms’ strategic initiatives. Bo is a recognized authority in the not-for-profit industry and a key contributor to the firm’s growth.
Bo’s philanthropy and professional achievements in the nonprofit community weave a common thread showing he is engrained in helping nonprofits succeed and commits their vision as his own. He considers thought leadership an utmost importance to help share advice on how not-for-profits of all sizes can better prepare for and manage organizational growth. Bo also wants to help grow the accounting profession by adding a well-qualified younger workforce and continually looks for speaking opportunities to share his insight with the future of the profession. He is passionate about volunteerism and giving back to the community.
Favorite influencer(s) (authors, bloggers, mentors, speakers, etc.)
Bo is influenced by other thought leaders in the nonprofit community and has regular interaction with supporters ranging from volunteers to CEO’s. Bo attempts to always be surrounded by individuals that strive for community improvement to help keep the passion alive and growing. Bo follows the VSCPA’s Connect community and blogs (http://connect.vscpa.com/home) to keep a pulse on the profession in the state of Virginia, and to grow his network of influencers. The Bible, his church and his parents raising him in the Christian faith have had a significant influence on his character traits, ideologies, and passion for helping others.