For professionals or tax firm administrative staff who need training or a refresher on preparing Form 1040 or other individual returns for the 2013 tax year, the National Society of Accountants (NSA) is offering a new online NSA 1040 101 Course, written by John O. Everett, Ph.D., CPA, and Cherie J. Hennig, Ph.D., CPA, both of whom are nationally recognized tax authors and lecturers.
"There are a number of new elements to the tax code this year, and getting training or a refresher on preparing individual returns is critical,” says NSA Executive Vice President John Ams. “Now is the time to do it before the crunch of tax returns hits.”
The course includes 11 chapters of in-depth information with a range of topics discussed within each chapter. A wealth of examples, diagrams, cautions, tips, and observations are included to help tax professionals learn the law, and not just memorize facts. Chapters include:
1. Basics: Computing Tax Liability and Filing the Tax Return
2. Gross Income: Wages, Interest and Dividend Income
3. Gross Income: Miscellaneous Sources of Income
4. Deductions for Adjusted Gross Income
5. Itemized Deductions: Medical Expenses, Taxes, and Interest
6. Itemized Deductions: Contributions, Casualty/Theft, Miscellaneous
7. Capital Gains and Losses, and Sale of a Personal Residence
8. Tax Credits: Credit For the Elderly or the Disabled, Credit For Child and Dependent Care Expenses, Child Tax Credit, and Earned Income Tax Credit
9. Tax Credits: Education-Related Credits, and Other Credits Available to Individuals
10. Gross Income: Miscellaneous Filing Issues
11. Circular 230 Issues, Ethical Constraints, and Electronic Filing
Each chapter includes numerous “Test Your Knowledge” questions with immediate grading, feedback, and unlimited attempts. A sample quiz to learn more about the course is available at http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=NjA4OTMx. The online course also comes with a complimentary downloadable PDF copy.
The course is available for $300 for NSA members and $425 for nonmembers.