- Graphics captured are not as sharp as those captured by PC-based portable document scanners such as a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1100 or S1300.
- Users who do not have a steady hand may have to take multiple pictures to replace blurry images.
- Firms will need to make sure that their staff policies and procedures address the security and confidentiality of client data captured with these devices.
- Melon does not currently offer a version of this app for devices running Apple’s iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad). iOS users may want to consider apps such as Scan2PDF, CamScanner+, or DocScanner.
Operating Systems: Android, BlackBerry, Symbian, Windows Mobile
Publisher: Melon Mobile
Publisher’s Website: www.melonmobile.com
App Profile: BNA Quick Tax Reference App
Summary: A great tool for the practitioner who needs to have key tax rates and figures with them at all times.
We’ve all been there – you’re at a party, and a client (or prospective client) corners you with a simple question like the current mileage rate, but you’re so tired after a long week that you can’t remember. This application will let you provide basic answers (mileage rate, tax rates, retirement plan limitations, etc.) on the fly.
While the BNA Quick Tax Reference App is useful for practitioners, it doesn’t include features which could make it more useful such as linkage to detailed content for BNA subscribers, the ability to e-mail or update social media sites with current news and developments.
- Free, and includes information for tax years 2007-2011, and frequent updates are issued by BNA at no charge.
- Includes key information such as mileage rates, tax rates (corporate, personal, and estate), standard deductions, personal exemption amounts, pension, retirement plan, and IRA limitations.
- Has enough content to answer basic questions and takes up very little storage on your device.
- Works on both smartphones and tablets running supported mobile operating systems.
- Does not provide information on IRS cases and policy releases other than updates to the basic rules, rates, and limits. There is no integration with BNA’s online tax research service for subscribers.
- The app could be made more useful by providing linkage to detailed content for BNA subscribers, the ability to e-mail or post status updates with current news and developments.
- Windows Mobile devices are not supported.
Operating Systems: iOS, Android, BlackBerry (no Windows Mobile)
Publisher’s Website: www.bna.com/quick-tax-reference-app/
Price: Free to all users
App Profile: RoboForm
Summary: An excellent password management application for creating and securely storing strong passwords.
One of the challenges for every accounting professional is keeping up with all of the usernames and passwords used to access confidential information. RoboForm is a secure database (with a single, master password) for storing and entering these logins. The application’s automated data entry saves time and also protects users against malware such as keystroke loggers. The tool can also store a number of user profiles so that users can automatically fill data such as name, address, etc. into web forms. Rather than relying on memory or slips of paper, this tool provides better organization and enhances security at the same time.
- Stores all of your usernames and passwords in an encrypted database.
- Integration with PC and mobile browsers goes directly to login screens and automatically enters your stored credentials.
- RoboForm Everywhere service ($19.95/year) includes an annual license for the smartphone, PC, and Mac client applications, as well as synchronization of data between computer, mobile device, and web.
- Automatic password entry is not supported for all interfaces, including many network logins.
Operating Systems: iOS, Android, BlackBerry,Windows Mobile, Symbian, PalmOS, Windows PC, and MacOS. Browser extensions are available for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Opera.
Publisher: Siber Systems, Inc.
Publisher’s Website: www.roboform.com
Price: The app itself is free, however, the required RoboForm Everywhere data synchronization service is $19.95/year, and includes a license for the PC/Mac based version of the software.