Just as with the paperless transition, the move toward tax document automation and workflow optimization is one that will likely require firms to adjust their internal processes in order to maximize the productivity-enhancing benefits that automation provides. The best way to learn how to implement such strategies is to take advantage of webcasts, seminars and other training events offered by The CPA Technology Advisor, your state and national professional associations, and professional consultants that specialize in helping tax and accounting practices.
Once again, there will likely be those who try to assert that everything is fine the way it is, but isn’t it worth it to try to be better, more productive and, ultimately, more profitable? The key is working smarter.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- CCH, a Wolters Kluwer business - ProSystem fx Scan with AutoFlow Technology
- CCH’s ProSystem fx Scan provides an integrated scanning system for 1040 source documents, helping to streamline the process of collecting, organizing and managing engagement workpapers..
- CCH Small Firm Services - ATX Scan&Fill & TaxWise Scan&Fill
- CCH runs ATX and TaxWise through its Small Firm Services division, providing smaller practices with professional compliance and management technologies.
- Copanion - GruntWorx
- GruntWorx is now offered in Organize and Pro versions, with both options providing automated document identification, workpaper organization, data extraction and review processes.
- SurePrep - 1040SCAN
- With more than four tax seasons behind it, SurePrep is essentially the inventor of automated tax document recognition and electronic workpaper compilation.
- Thomson Reuters - GoFileRoom
- The GoFileRoom system from Thomson Reuters is geared toward advanced document management for tax and accounting firms.
- Thomson Reuters - FileCabinet CS
- FileCabinet CS is a document management solution primarily designed for integration with the Thomson Reuters CS Professional Suite.
Automating many of the "mundane" tasks associated with client tax engagements is an important step in maximizing the efficiency of a professional practice. This is especially so as a firm grows and develops hierarchies of administrative staff, preparers, managers and departments. By simplifying the process of organizing consistent formatted client files into easily referenced digital workpapers, these tasks can be assigned to less experienced or non-professional staff. These workpapers also serve to streamline review processes for senior staff and help free their time for additional or more profitable engagements. Or, perhaps, for a better work/life balance during busy season.