BEST FIRM FIT:
Competitive solution for small and mid-sized firms with some advanced workflow needs beyond the capabilities of the Traditional Workflow products without the most complex requirements of the Advanced Workflow products like multi-tiered consolidations, multi-office, etc.
- ProLine Tax Import offers a website to help users download and import securities transaction data from investment banks
- Pay-per-return option attractive for startup firms & those who need advanced functionality without a large up-front payment
- New organizer for trust returns, support for using organizer as a workpaper
- This year’s version adds e-filing for state partnership & corporate tax in 23 jurisdictions
- Excellent QuickBooks integration with Lacerte SmartMap tool
- Lack of a vendor-hosted or SaaS version of this product, although some third-party hosting companies offer this service
- Client Tracker is not compatible with Windows Vista/Windows 7
- Some supporting applications in the suite are very new (ProLine Practice Management & ProLine Tax Research), and not as complete as the more established competitor products
- Other products (EasyAcct write-up solution) have limited adoption & enhancements
Lacerte Tax is the top-tier tax compliance offering in the Intuit ProLine product lineup. Lacerte Tax showcases a flat workflow environment. This allows for intuitive and quick data input and simple workflow navigation. New for tax year 2010, is an organizer for trust returns. This organizer can aid clients in assembling necessary data to complete trust returns as well as allow staff to utilize the organizer as a workpaper. Other new offerings include a new mechanism for tracking extension payments and the addition of partnership and corporation electronic filing for several state jurisdictions. Improvements have also been made to the Internet-based peer-to-peer training video options available through Intuit’s website.
CORE PRODUCT FUNCTIONS/FEATURES
Intuitive navigation is at the forefront of the Lacerte Tax software design. The Clients Screen is the starting point, listing all clients divided by return type. It is fully customizable and can include a number of different data display fields. The Clients Screen also offers customizable filters to help locate specific client files. Tabs are located across the top of the screen and allow for easy navigation, including direct access to the client’s tax forms. Once in the data input mode, a listing of all input screen options is displayed. Alternatively, these input screens can be located through menu style options, broken down by major categories (Income, Deductions, Payments, etc.). Any input and form screens that have data are displayed via tabs on the bottom of the screen. Selecting one of these tabs directs users to that input or form screen. These navigation options provide a quick way to navigate through the return for both preparers and reviewers. Additionally, this navigation may be seen as more intuitive for new staff and those new to Lacerte Tax.
Lacerte Tax includes the ability to file all major federal tax returns and has filing capabilities for most state and local tax jurisdictions. New this year, is the addition of electronic filing for trust returns. With this addition, Lacerte Tax now offers electronic filing for all major federal tax compliance. Also new this year, is the addition of 23 state partnership and corporation electronic filing modules.